Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Vaping Etiquette


     Finally! It’s Friday, I’m off work, and I am walking into one of my favorite Happy Hour location to meet up with some friends for a drink. I love this bar because they have great food, drinks, and most of all they are Vaping friendly. I know their policy because I asked on one of my first visits. So there I am, listening to one of my friends talk about their week at work as I take a pull from my gold colored xPro M36. Suddenly, I hear, “Um excuse me!” I turn to the woman to my left who is clearly irritated. Once she has my full attention she says to me “Don’t you know you can’t smoke in here?!” At first, I am caught off guard but my mind quickly recovers and is coming up with many responses to this woman’s rhetorical question.  I decide to take the high road and simply say “I apologize if my vapor bothered you. This bar does not have a ban on indoor vaping but I will respect your space and I’ll vape outside”. This encounter from my weekend provoked a lot of thought about the perception of public vaping.
     Just a few weeks before this exchange I was at another watering hole and I was vaping outside while some of my friends were smoking analogs. A group of nearby smokers started inquiring about my mod, eJuice, and general vaping questions. I informed them that I worked in the industry and actually made my eJuice myself using the products that we sell at RTS Vapes. They asked for my business cards and a few have since contacted me to place an order. I found it perplexing that I had two completely different reactions about my public vaping. However, the more I thought about it I began realizing that there really is an etiquette that should be practiced when vaping.
     I think one of the main reasons I had varied responses was because in the first situation I was vaping indoors. I believe that one should always ask both the establishment and those nearby if they mind if you vape. Although the establishment may not have an issue with vaping indoors it is polite to take an individual’s concerns into consideration especially while in a restaurant or bar. You see, your Fruit Fusion Fantasy eLiquid may taste and smell great to you but the person next to you who is enjoying a Ribeye may not find the two to be a pleasurable combination. 
     Another polite gesture is to be conscientious of where and how you blow your clouds. A public place is generally not a stage for an impromptu cloud competition. Try to take small drags off your ecig to reduce the amount of vapor that is exhaled. Also, when you are in a crowded place or talking to someone direct your cloud downwards or to the side to avoid blowing vapor in someone’s face.
     Be polite but be informative. If someone addresses your vaping as harmful or concerning this is your opportunity to share your knowledge about the benefits of vaping. This industry is still very new but research so far has indicated that there are not health risks associated with second hand vapor or even first hand for that matter. Ultimately there are enough naysayers who already have their opinions about the industry. By being respectful and practicing vape etiquette we are able to show those who may be opposed that Vapers are an informed, polite community who are dedicated to a healthy alternative to smoking. 

By: Bethany Stinar, Sales Representative

No comments:

Post a Comment